Several bail conditions imposed on teen charged in alleged Calgary sex assault

Bail has been granted to a 15-year-old Calgary boy accused of sexually assaulting a woman who had passed out at a light-rail transit station after a night of drinking.

CALGARY — Bail has been granted to a 15-year-old Calgary boy accused of sexually assaulting a woman who had passed out at a light-rail transit station after a night of drinking.

The youth was charged after the 19-year-old woman was allegedly attacked last December after she became separated from her friends and sought refuge from the cold in the station.

The suspect, whose name cannot be released under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, has been in custody since his arrest and faces several release conditions prior to the start of his trial on May 9.

A second teen who was alleged to have stood watch during the assault has previously had charges against him stayed by the Crown.

Danielle Aubry, spokeswoman for Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse, says the decision to grant bail has left her outraged.

Aubry says people are going to raise questions about the suspect’s release because of a publication ban on evidence presented at the bail hearing.