Local people looking to access motor vehicle and land title services will see a continued disruption due to the major fire at the Shaw Centre in Calgary.
Service Alberta announced Monday they have restored all services with exception to land titles and motor vehicle services.
For the people who need access to those services there has been a set of protocols put in place to follow until the services can be restored.
Service Alberta minister Manmeet Bhullar said: “Like many Albertans, we have been frustrated by this disruption and we have taken immediate action to minimize the impact.”
The provisions set out by Service Alberta will be in affect immediately until registry services can be restored.
That includes drivers’ licences such as if a licence expires on or after July 1, 2012, that person’s license will continue to be valid.
For drivers that purchased a vehicle without a license plate to transfer, they will be able to use an in-transit permit provided by a car dealer or registry agent.
Vehicle registrations that expire in July will automatically be extended.
Drivers who purchase a vehicle and have a valid licence plate and registration in their name for the vehicle they are replacing will be valid for 14 days from date of purchase. Drivers who purchased a test permit prior to July 11 can proceed with testing to obtain a driver’s licence.
Land titles provisions includes documents that are time sensitive such as builders liens and health hazards will be accepted at Edmonton and Calgary land titles offices. People who may be concerned about land title transactions taking effect soon should speak to their lawyer about other options available to them..
People will be able access vital statistics, personal property and corporate registry services.
The fire that affected the Shaw Communications Headquarters in Calgary last Wednesday shut down a number of services, brought down Alberta Health Services computers, put three radio stations off the air and affected some banking services. Shaw communications customers were also affected.
No one was hurt in the blast that originated in a 13th floor electrical room.