EDMONTON — Thirteen additional charges have been laid against two teenagers who fled a youth facility and ended up accused in the slayings of an Edmonton-area couple three months ago.
One youth is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Susan Trudel and Barry Boenke; the other is charged with being an accessory to murder.
On Tuesday, additional charges of break and enter and theft were laid against the teens, who can’t be named.
Meanwhile, changes to the Bosco Homes facility the youths fled from are starting to take shape.
Bosco officials say that since the incident, a path has been cleared for installation of a fence around the facility for troubled teens.
They say a chain-link fence will be put in place around the perimeter of the building within two weeks and magnetic locks will be installed on some of the doors.
The changes were previously announced by the facility back in late June after area residents met with facility officials to discuss safety concerns.
Area residents say they’re happy a fence is going in, but they’d rather see one that is topped by a pipe that rolls.
“So when anyone tries to climb it, they put their hand on it and it just rolls off,” said Jim Stephens, spokesman for the Strathcona Residents’ Association.
Bosco officials don’t support that.
“This is not a young offenders program, what they are asking for is a prison fence,” said Gus Rozycki, executive director of Bosco Homes.
“Do these children have any rights, do they have to be further abused by placing them in something that looks more like incarceration than protection?”
Psychologist Tanya Spencer agrees with Rozycki, saying the sight of a large fence draped around the property would only hurt the youth.