Colton Sutter scored 19 seconds into overtime to lift the Red Deer Vipers to a 4-3 Heritage Junior B Hockey League win over the visiting Three Hills Thrashers on Saturday.
Braden Corbett of the Vipers forced the extra frame with a goal at 19:59 of the third period. Drew Todd and Joel Pelletier also scored for Red Deer, while the Thrashers got two goals from Kyle McCormick and a single from James Newby. Jason Pohl stopped 40 shots for the Vipers, while Corey Smith made 44 saves for Three Hills. The teams split 18 minor penalties and two fighting majors.
On Sunday, the Stettler Lightning fell 5-2 to the host Okotoks Bisons. Details were unavailable.
In other Heritage weekend games involving Central Alberta teams:
• On Saturday, the visiting Ponoka Stampeders, with Chad McDougall scoring twice and Wyatt Watson and Jordan Duthier potting singles, fell 7-4 to the Banff Academy Bears.
Cole Hoeber made 40 saves for the Stamps, who were outshot 47-40.
• The host Rimbey Rock were thumped 12-4 by the Airdrie Thunder, who held an 54-33 advantage in shots.
Cole Scott, with two goals, Justin Lawson and Davin Waisanen scored for the Rock, who got a 34-save performance from Logan Grundy and an eight-stop effort from Aaron Shukin.
• The Blackfalds Wranglers, with Kurtis Ross scoring twice and David Jantzie, Kyle Maas and Brandon Regush also connecting, defeated the visiting Cochrane Generals 5-2.
The Wranglers held a 35-25 edge in shots with winning netminder Tanner Schalin making 23 saves.
• On Friday, the Stettler Lightning traveled to Airdrie and gained a 1-1 overtime draw with the Thunder.
Clayton Herzog notched the long Lightning goal, while Landon Schmidt made 42 saves as the Thunder held a 43-41 advantage in shots.
• Corbin Watson sniped the winner at 16:39 of the third period as the Thrashers downed the visiting Strathmore Wheat Kings 6-5.
Three Hills also got two goals from Scott Bell and singles off the sticks of McCormick and Cole Goodine. The Thrashers, who outshot their guests 57-33, received a 28-save effort from Smith.
• Rimbey ventured into High River and lost 5-2 to the Flyers, their goals coming from Scott and Cale Walker. Shukin made 23 saves for the Rock, who were outshot 28-26.