Woman injured in apartment fire caused by candle

A 47-year-old woman has suffered injuries after a lit candle caused her apartment suite to catch fire on Wednesday night.

A 47-year-old woman has suffered injuries after a lit candle caused her apartment suite to catch fire on Wednesday night.

Tim Kivell, fire prevention officer with the City of Red Deer, said Emergency Services responded at 11:42 p.m.

The fire started in suite six on the third floor of the residential apartment located on the southwest corner of the 4809 48th Ave. building.

The blaze, which caused “extensive damage,” was confined to the one suite, Kivell said on Thursday.

“The lady who was living in the house had lit a candle by her bed and she fell asleep and the candle caught on some surrounding combustibles,” he said.

The damages are upwards of $60,000, Kivell said.

“Then she woke up and noticed the fire and attempted to put it out with a pillow and she actually sustained some injuries and was taken to the hospital but later released.”

The building is owned and operated by the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta and all residents were evacuated prior to fire-medics arriving.

Occupants affected by the fire were temporarily relocated to a local hotel, assisted by the schizophrenia society and the Red Cross.

Emergency Services has completed the investigation and has deemed it as accidental.

jjones@bprda.wpengine.com