Purse strings play a major role in Red Deer’s 2011 Women of Excellence Awards Gala, coming to the Capri Centre on June 13.
This year, the event will auction gently-used purses donated by celebrities, including Olympic silver medalist Cheryl Bernard, country singer Tracy Clark and venture capitalist Arlene Dickinson, best known for her role on Dragon’s Den.
The fourth-annual gala, a fundraiser for the Red Deer and District Community Foundation, has named 13 women in nine categories to its annual awards:
• Carol Kelly for Agriculture and the Environment
• Marguerite Watson for Arts, Culture and Heritage
• Mellisa Hollingsworth for Athletics, Recreation and Fitness
• Gail Surkan for Business and the Professions
• Colleen Jensen, Rita Kemp, Dawna Morey, Anna Robertson and Lyn Radford for Community Building
• Marian George for Education and Training
• Gloria Beck for Entrepreneurship
• Jytte Roy-Poulsen for Health and Wellness
• Martha Cortes for Human Services
Evening events open with a champagne reception at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner and awards at 6 p.m.
Tickets are $100 each, available from the foundation office, 403-341-6911.