Young girl found alive in French Alps slayings

For at least eight hours, the 4-year-old girl lay motionless, frightened and alone, hiding under her dead mother’s skirt on the floor of a BMW after a killing spree in the French Alps.

ANNECY, France — For at least eight hours, the 4-year-old girl lay motionless, frightened and alone, hiding under her dead mother’s skirt on the floor of a BMW after a killing spree in the French Alps. As the hours ticked by, police peered through the car’s windows at the lifeless bodies of her parents and grandmother.

Only after police forensic experts finally arrived shortly before midnight from Paris, peeling back the blood-stained layers of the grisly crime scene, did the girl crawl out apparently unharmed — asking, with a smile and hugs, where her family was.

The motive for the slayings of the family and a French cyclist whose body was found nearby remained unclear Thursday, a day after the bodies were found in a wooded area up a mountain road from the village of Chevaline, near bucolic Annecy Lake.

Earlier, rescuers had whisked the child’s wounded 7-year-old sister to a hospital as helicopters scanned the area. All the while, immobilized by fear, the girl had remained huddled alone, steps away from investigators.

Never did they think anyone else was still alive.

“The girl was found totally immobile behind the front passenger-side seat, under the legs — under the skirt — of one of the women, hidden behind a large travel bag, totally invisible and silent, which explains why no one saw her before,” French state prosecutor Eric Maillaud told a news conference in Annecy.

The case took on international ramifications, with links that tied the slain family to Britain, Iraq and Sweden.

The murders first came to light when a British cyclist telephoned authorities after passing the body of the slain Frenchman. The Briton — a former Royal Air Force pilot — then saw the badly wounded older girl lunging toward him. The car’s motor still running, he laid the child on the ground to give her first aid that French authorities said saved her life.

The go-ahead to open up the car and start unraveling the mystery was given only after police forensic experts flew in — hours after the British cyclist’s call. Authorities insisted they didn’t want to compromise the crime scene.

Maillaud said three of the victims — the man, the elderly woman and the French cyclist — had gunshot wounds to the head, while the cause of death of the younger woman was still under investigation.

“We strictly don’t know why these people were killed,” Maillaud said, adding that about 15 bullet casings were found around the car.

“What is certain is that someone wanted to kill.”

He said authorities were searching for suspects and had not ruled out anything, including the possibilities that the attack was intended to settle a score or simply that the family was “in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

The two children were put under police protection, and the prosecutor warned that the killer might try to “get rid of” witnesses to a “scene of immense savagery.”

Maillaud said the BMW station wagon was registered to a British man born in Baghdad in 1962. The man, whom he did not identify, had lived in Britain since at least 2002, and his family had been in France since August, camping at Annecy Lake since Monday.

The Sipa news agency identified the driver as Saad al Hilli, a resident of a London suburb. Public records identified him as a mechanical engineer and his LinkedIn page described him as an aerospace consultant.

Sky News, citing neighbours in the British village of Claygate, identified al Hilli’s wife as Iqbal, the 7-year-old as Zehab and the 4-year-old as Zeinab. Maillaud cautioned that it was too early to confirm any identities, pending results of DNA and fingerprint tests.

Sweden confirmed one of the victims was Swedish. French authorities found a Swedish passport that apparently belonged to the older woman, who was born in 1938, as well as an Iraqi passport.

The French cyclist was identified as Sylvain Mollier, 45, from nearby Grenoble who police believe had no connection to the British family. His wife had called police after Mollier failed to return from a ride.

The al Hillis’ camper was covered in red police tape on Thursday, and the case sparked fear among other vacationers. A British retiree at a neighbouring campsite said he was considering leaving after hearing what happened to the family.

The slain victims and the wounded girl were found just before 4 p.m. Wednesday by the British cyclist, who has a house in the region. Questioned about the eight-hour delay in finding the second child, Maillaud said police were trying to keep the crime scene intact to allow forensics and other experts to arrive.

“When dealing with such a big crime scene the main thing … is to make sure this investigation is in no way compromised,” he said.

Police told reporters helicopters using thermal scanners did not detect the surviving child in the car, perhaps because her body heat was concealed by the women’s bodies she was hiding under.

It was only after fellow campers alerted investigators that the missing family had two daughters that police rushed back to the crime scene.

When investigators opened the car door, the 4-year-old emerged, smiling, and reaching out, Maillaud said. Speaking English, she said she heard cries, but couldn’t describe what had happened. She was unharmed physically and will be questioned later, he said.

“She quickly asked where her family was,” he said. “We are hoping for more information from her sister that will help the investigators to move forward.”

David Wilson, a criminologist at Birmingham City University in England, said it was understandable that French police wanted to preserve the integrity of the crime scene, but questioned why it took so long before the child was found.

“Every crime scene these days is treated with almost religious significance,” said Wilson. “Police officers — whether we’re talking about France or the United States or elsewhere — have this drilled into them: ’You don’t contaminate the crime scene.”’

The complex nature of the scene notwithstanding, he said police blundered.

“Even in those kinds of crime scenes, you have to check for life,” he said. “Eight hours is an incredible length of time for the little girl not to have been found.”

Later Thursday, hearses under police escort and a tow truck hauling the BMW left the area. Autopsies were planned for Friday.

French President Francois Hollande, who met with Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron in London on Thursday, promised that French authorities “will do our utmost to find the perpetrators.”

Cameron said consular staff were assisting the girls and “are working very hard … to find out what happened in this very tragic case. Obviously the faster we can get to the bottom of what happened, the better.”

Britain’s ambassador to France, Peter Ricketts, said British diplomats were trying to contact other family members but so far none had been located. He declined to say whether the father’s Iraqi ties may have been a factor in the killings.

“All I can say is that we are doing everything you would imagine that we would do for a small girl who has been deeply traumatized in a foreign country where she doesn’t speak the language. We are doing everything we can for her,” he said.

An accountant at al Hilli’s computer design company, Shtech, said he had spoken with al Hilli the day before the family left for France and that his mother-in-law was probably the older woman in the car, according to Britain’s Press Association.

Julian Stedman described al Hilli as a “hardworking family man who loved his children.”

Mae Faisal El-wailly, a childhood friend of al Hilli’s in Iraq, described him as an outgoing child from a well-off family.

“As a child he was very active, very happy,” said El-wailly, who now lives on Phoenix and said she had reconnected with al Hilli through social media. “He liked photography, travelling, and cycling … He seemed very happy.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read